Can A Divorce Decree Be Appealed?

When a family court trial judge issues a divorce decree or a judgment in regard to any family law dispute that you disagree with, you have the right to file an appeal. However, appeal is not the best strategy in all cases.

The process is complex, and success on appeal is often difficult to achieve. Our law firm is experienced with the appeals process in New Jersey, which goes through the Appellate Division of the Superior Court.

Unless the trial judge made a significant error of law or overstepped his or her authority (an “abuse of discretion”), a successful appeal of the judge’s ruling is rare. In any circumstance, you will need the assistance and representation of an experienced lawyer who has in-depth knowledge of family law and the appeals process to make the proper assessment of your circumstances.

At the Law Offices of Jonathan D. Gordon, Esq., LLC, our attorney has more than 18 years of experience, and our sole focus is on family law. We take your case seriously and re-examine all the facts to prepare for a reasonable and comprehensive appeal.

Please call our offices in Teaneck to discuss your specific situation, or contact us online for other consultation service options. Call 201-801-0455 to speak with a lawyer today.

Bergen County Divorce Appeal Lawyer

We will help you carefully consider appeal and other options for resolution short of filing an appeal. The appeals process is costly and the Appellate Division gives substantial deference to the trial judge’s conclusions, but other options such as requests for reconsideration of the earlier decision may be explored at the lower court level.

We do our absolute best to minimize costs while maintaining the integrity and viability of your appeal.

After informed discussions with our clients and careful consideration of the trial judge’s actions and ruling, we determine together if appeal is a prudent case to pursue. Family law cases to appeal may include:

  • Child support
  • Alimony (spousal support)
  • Child custody
  • Custody relocation
  • Property division
  • Modification of orders
  • Domestic violence
  • Child abuse or neglect

If a settlement or agreement that was part of your divorce decree or part of an order modification was based on coercion, fraud, deception or undue pressure, you may have grounds for appeal. We will first determine if an application to reopen a settlement should be made to the trial court, and we will walk you through the steps of a timely appeal process if necessary.

Contact The Law Offices Of Jonathan D. Gordon, Esq., LLC

Call our Teaneck family law appeal lawyer at 201-801-0455, or contact us online to schedule a consultation. We provide several consultation service options.

Family Law Overview

  • Prenuptial Agreements
  • How & When To File An Appeal
  • When & Why Would I Go To Trial?